The MySQL® software delivers a very fast, multi-threaded, multi-user, and robust SQL (Structured Query Language) database server. MySQL Server is intended for mission-critical, heavy-load production systems as well as for embedding into mass-deployed software
Uses multi-layered server design with independent modules.
* Designed to be fully multi-threaded using kernel threads, to easily use multiple CPUs if they are available.
* Provides transactional and nontransactional storage engines.
* Designed to make it relatively easy to add other storage engines. This is useful if you want to provide an SQL interface for an in-house database.
* Uses a very fast thread-based memory allocation system.
* Executes very fast joins using an optimized one-sweep multi-join.
* Implements SQL functions using a highly optimized class library that should be as fast as possible. Usually there is no memory allocation at all after query initialization.
* Provides the server as a separate program for use in a client/server networked environment, and as a library that can be embedded (linked) into standalone applications. Such applications can be used in isolation or in environments where no network is available.